Welcome to YDP Activate Forum. Together we shall make this community a better place. Please follow the topics and share your ideas and opinion. Thank you.

Is the Nigerian youth confident or confused?

Welcome to the Youth Activate Forums. Youth Activate was born out of the conviction and struggle of a new class of passionate young patriotic Nigerians who believed in the possibility of a new Nigeria and the establishment of the Nigeria of our dreams.

Our aim is to garner citizen understanding and support, critical to the advancement of our political development and democracy. We support young people to affect positive change for themselves and for their communities; we believe young people sound be invested in; can be part of the solution; want to be empowered and must be listened to. We believe that one person can make a difference; and that together we can achieve great things.

In this forum, we engage our members with a vibrant and modern online community forum. Youth gives power back to the people. Youth Activate is a welcoming community with an amazing moderation team. We're known for having a balanced approach.
Site Admin

Is the Nigerian youth confident or confused?

Unread postby anyigold » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Nigerian Youth: What is Wrong With Us?

There have been plethora of essays gearing up youth of Nigeria to espouse the rein of their country’s affairs from the older folks in full capacities. But just a few weeks ago I was so fortunate to stumble across a mind boggling and beautifully crafted piece by our own renowned Laureate prize holder, Professor Oluwole Soyinka in which he presented several arrays of narratives as to why the Nigerian youth should confidently brace themselves up for national tasks and responsibilities. Sincerely, there was a particular line in his inspirational argument that forcefully pierced my mind like Asian Volcano where the don maintained as follows’’. This statement emotionalized me and I became cleared of my fantasied intoxication of ever being young and young.

Without much dramatization, my honest question is; what is wrong with Nigerian Youth? Nothing, if you ask me. In as much as I was convinced and confused by the literary giant’s position I still, justifiably frown at his stance on Nigerian youth. I harbour the staunchest opinion that the youth should not be made to suffer an iota of vituperation like a man nursing his excruciating sore-their inability to be stakeholders in the day-to-day affairs of their fatherland is not their own creation after all, they have been subjected to both physical and psychological angsts. The elitist class has reduced our vibrant youth to nothing but a citadel of political thuggery and banditry-turned their promising future into a field of withered rose flowers just to have their uncultured and prodigal sons and daughters to pilot their succession agenda.

Recent revelations have shown how Nigeria has been transmuted into to fathers and sons enterprise where political marauders are greedily initiating their sons (heirs) into the treasury-sucking fraternity of corruption-please, do flashback to the corruption cases of; Murtala Nyako and son; Aminu Baba Kusa and son; Attairu Bafarawa and son; Dr. Bello Haliru Muhammed and son; Bamanga Tukur and son; Ahmadu Ali and son; and Sule Lamido and sons. Though, I have not included the power-passing baton enterprise of the age-long Saraki’s political hegemony in Kwara State.

With this syndrome of father-to-son polity in the Nigeria there is no political leverage reserved for indigent youth to rise from hard rock to the most exalted tower of gold in Nigerian polity. Extremely a Shakespearean fiction! When your father is not a political party financier or on the Board of Trustees.
I however, charge the youth to cease to be brought down by any stumbling barricades moulded on their routes to achieving their successes and desires. They must, as a matter of necessity equip themselves with foundational leadership education as posited by a Greek philosopher, Diogenes, ‘‘The foundation of every state is the education of its youth’’.

They must take a cue from the likes of; Fredrick Douglas; Marcus Garvey; Malcom X; and Martin Luther King Jnr who despite the obnoxious institutionalized racism of the whites in the United States of America morally and intellectually battled their ways out of the racial subjugation and subservience. Today, their names are seen on the indelible wall of heroics.

Our young minds must not be susceptible to the consumption of overdose pills of ethno-religious extremism in a covert trial at incapacitating them from toppling the old-folk politicians.

I, for one vehemently believe if we have youth who are so much focused, resolute and strong-minded, Nigeria will in not-too-distant future produce youthful leaders in the mold of the following personages who in their tender ages took over the stools of leadership and power;

Johnson Aguiyi Ironsi, 42, first military president of Nigeria;
Yakubu Gowon 32, Military President of Nigeria;
Kim Yong Un, 27, president of North Korea;
Jigme Khesar NW., 26, King of Bhutan;
Tamim bn Ahmad Al Thanni, 32, Emir of Qatar;
Atifete Jahjag (A woman), 35, Ex-president of Kosovo.
Mohammed F. Gambari writes from Abuja.

Re: Is the Nigerian youth confident or confused?

Unread postby Elox » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:10 pm

@anyigold, the horrible state of Nigeria can be traced to the confusion of adopting a federal system of government and practicing a unitary system. Things can never be right if this is not corrected by reverting to true federalism. This is a great forum i must mention.

Re: Is the Nigerian youth confident or confused?

Unread postby AROnos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 am

Hi Anyi :D